Monday 11 August 2008

Dedication

I love sport, both playing and watching, whether it’s something I’m totally familiar with like football or an altogether more obscure pursuit (‘curling’ comes to mind). I think it taps into the competitive element ingrained in my psyche, which also comes to the fore in academic activities. Even going back to early P.E. lessons in secondary school, I always wanted to push myself and beat others in the yearly fitness tests. A favourite was the ‘bleep test’, consisting of getting from one side of the gym to the other before the tape machine bleeped next. It starts at no more than a brisk walk, but progresses steadily and relentlessly until the last poor soul collapses out of exhaustion after failing to reach the other side in time. Perversely I loved this self-imposed torture, seeing the fatter, lazier kids dropping like flies while I still felt full of running. Then, after the chaf had been well and truly discarded and the final few remained, the competition hotted up. I always fought through the screaming sinews and burning lungs to finish in the top two, and was proud of myself for doing so.

Having left school and the mandatory physical assessments behind, I still love to play football, tennis, squash and golf. Maybe it’s a bit sad feeling the need to prove myself and take things more seriously than some others, but I think those same traits are the ones that have got me into medical school. It would have been far easier to coast through A-levels and get into a less demanding, middle-of-the-road degree course. Instead I chose the (widely regarded as harder) scientific subjects, put myself through the UCAS agony and finally obtained a conditional offer after three prior rejections. However, I enjoy being stretched and challenging myself. Stimulating my mind through learning is just as important as stimulating my body through sport – hopefully I’ll be able to maintain both as I continue in my studies and future career.

In terms of watching sport, this summer has left me spoilt for choice! The European football championships (strangely more satisfying without having to worry about when England’s inevitable exit would come) were fantastic, Lewis Hamilton’s exploits on the racetrack, a truly memorable Wimbledon Men’s final, watching Padraig Harrington retain his Open title before being the first European to clinch the USPGA in 78 years were all highlights. Now the Olympics in underway and the competitive spirit within me has awoken. For me the crowning glory is the athletics, in particular the men’s 100 metres. What an achievement to be the fastest person on the planet - the sheer explosion of power gets me every time. Rowing, swimming, cycling and gymnastics are also great entertainment. On the other hand, I resent the inclusion of sports whose most prestigious titles lie away from the Olympics. For example, today in the tennis, Andy Murray was clearly not interested, some other big names have stayed away and it’s perfectly logical considering the final grand slam event on the calendar is only a fortnight away! These sports don’t have a place in the Games as far as I’m concerned. An Olympic gold medal should be the pinnacle of an athlete or sportsman/woman’s career, but in several disciplines this just isn’t the case and the Olympics is poorer for it.

No comments: